MRI with contrast and Diazepam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MRI with contrast and Diazepam

I am having an MRI of the head with and without contrast on Friday. I have also been prescribed a one time dose of diazepam 5mg for procedural anxiety. My infant is 8 months old and is still breastfeeding several times a day with solids also. My MRI aid scheduled at 4:30 PM so I plan to nurse immediately before and then had planned to pump and dump until between 8:00am and 11:00am the following day so roughly 15-17 hours after the dose of and MRI contrast agent. The radiology department recommended pumping and dumping for 24 hours.. is 24 hours standard with the diazepam and contrast dose or is 17 hours sufficient? I hate to waste milk if not absolutly required. Should I ask for a different anti-anxiety drug like lorazepam?

Thanks for your response, I greatly appreciate any and all information you can provide me.

Natalie

Nataliesuzr,

We recommend with a one time dose of valium it is probably ok to breastfeed after a few hours (about 4-6). If they use a true contrast it is not radioactive so one pump and dump at 3 hours is usually ok.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

I appreciate your reply. I thought I had added the contrast name! My apologies. The contrast will be gadolinium. Basically if I pump and dump twice over 6 hours it will be OK to resume breastfeeding? The tech at radiology keeps recommending dumping for 24 hours!

Comment

Nataliesuzr,

Yes that should be fine. The transfer of gadolinium into breast milk is only 0.02-0.04% of your dose, only miniscule amounts of gadolinium contrast agents reach the milk compartment and virtually none of this is absorbed orally by the infant.

Sandra

Comment

One more question, my ENT prescribed the same dose of 5mg Valium to take on occasion (1-2x a month) for bad anxiety and tinnitus that is intrusive. Is this okay to take occasionally and if so, generally is it 6 hours of pumping and dumping to be safe? Infant is almost 9 months old and does consume some solids as well.

Comment

Nataliesuzr,

Yes it is probably ok to use valium 1-2X a month, your infant is a little older. Wait about 6 hours after a dose and monitor for sedation, slowed breathing rate, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
            InfantRisk Center
            806-352-2519

Comment

Unfortunately I have to have another MRI and an MRA without contrast. I was given another prescription for diazepam 5mg for these procedures due to anxiety. I will probably be talking two, 5mg diazepam 40 minutes apart. My baby is 9 months old and is on some solids. Your recommendation was pump and dump for 6 hours for one dose of 5mg. Would a dose of diazepam 10mg require pumping and dumping for a longer period? Since the MRA and mri do not require contast there is no risk to the infant from either of those, correct?

Thanks

Comment

Natalie:

I'm not sure you really need to wait much longer than 6 hours. At 9 months your baby can probably easily handle the small amount of Valium in your milk.

Tom Hale Ph.D.
                Professor

Comment

Even if I take 10mg of diazepam? And there is no risk from the MRA at all that would require dumping ? I have never undergone such a Procedure.

Thanks again. I just don't want to risk anything but do need the medications.

Comment

Nataliesuzr,

We think a one time dose of 10mg before your procedure is probably ok, just wait about 6 hours to feed your infant.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
                    InfantRisk Center
                    806-325-2519

Comment

Working...
                    X