Fluorine 18 FDG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluorine 18 FDG

I am due to have a PET scan tomorrow for cancer diagnostic purposes. I am breastfeeding my 5 month old baby exclusively. I have been advised that I will be given Fluorine 18 FDG before the scan and that I should express and stay away from the baby for 8 hours after the radioactive isotope is given and should not feed him for 12 hours after. Is this information correct?

LadyLayla,

FDG (fludeoxyglucose F-18) is rated an L4-limited data-possibly hazardous. [COLOR=#333333][FONT=lucida grande]Recommend pumping and dumping of breast milk after the procedure for at least 4 to 9 hours to minimize radiation. The infant receives more radiation from close contact with the breast, close contact should probably be avoided for about 4 hours and minimized close contact for the next 10 hours, due to release of gamma radiation from the mother. The authors suggest pumping of the milk and feeding in bottles by another individual to reduce direct exposure to radiation. At 9 hours, 98.5% of the radioisotope would be decayed away. It is likely that after 9 hours, almost all radioisotope would be decayed to almost background levels. Recommend pumping and dumping of breast milk after the procedure for at least 9 hours to avoid all radiation.

I hope this helps.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Last edited by Sandra; 09-17-2015, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Sorry but I'm a bit confused. That that mean that after 9 hours of pumping and dumping the milk itself will be okay? But I should minimise contact myself for another few hours? So after 9 hours can I pump and have someone else feed the baby that milk? Thanks.

Comment

Ladylayla,

Sorry, wait a minimum of 4 hours or up to 9 hours to pump and save the milk, then you could let someone else feed it to the infant. At 9 hours it is almost completely decayed away to background levels. Avoid close contact for a minimum of 4 hours and then limit close contact for another 10 hours after that, say 15-20 minutes per hour, with no snuggling, co-sleeping, carrying the baby in a sling etc.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
        InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
        X