Te99m Sulfur Colloid / Gastric Emptying Study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Te99m Sulfur Colloid / Gastric Emptying Study

My doctor wants me to get a gastric emptying study to diagnose Gastroparesis. I am told I would be given 1mci dose of Te99m Sulfur Colloid. The technicians and doctor have given me mixed instructions in regards to breastfeeding my 6 month old. From 24 hours to 48 hours of no breastfeeding to 6 hour of no contact with baby to be able to hold him right away.

He does not take a bottle well and is very clingy and spends a lot of time in a baby sling. We also (safely) co sleep.

What are the proper precautions?

Thank you.

Need2heal:

Technetium-99 is a commonly used radioisotope. It in reality is the safest of the radioisotopes we use in this field as its radioactive 'intensity', is quite low. Its gamma ray is weak and only goes out about 3 feet from your body. However, it only has a 6 hour half-life, so if you were to pump and store your milk for 24 hours, there would be no risk to feeding this stored milk, or breastfeeding.

Now, the reality is that the risk of breastfeeding, or holding your infant closely, is rather low, but some risk is possible. That said, if it were my infant, I'd withhold breastfeeding and holding your child for 24 hours.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
    X