Gu Energy Gel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gu Energy Gel

I have a client who is running a mini marathon soon and was intending to use the Gu Energy Gel products. Baby is 8 months old and she is intending on taking a gel 30 minutes prior to the run and 1 hour into the run and won't be available to nurse baby until at least two hours after the gel. Do you have any information on this product? As best I could tell, the only possible ingredient with issue would be caffeine, but even that didn't seem in excess. I have included a link to the company's product page. Thank you in advance for any insight.

https://guenergy.com/products/products-energy-gels/

Dear KHenryBFPC,

Most of the ingredients appeared to be compatible with breastfeeding except the Cola Nut. Natural Standard states "Kola Nut (Cola acuminata) is traditionally used as a caffeine stimulant and may cause anxiety, bone loss, changes in behavior, dyspepsia (upset stomach), increased blood pressure, increased eye pressure, increased secretion of stomach acid, inflammation in the stomach lining, insomnia, loss of appetite, mouth blisters, nervousness, peptic ulcers, retina inflammation, skin discoloration, sleep problems, stomach problems, and tremors. This product should be avoided in children and women who are pregnant and breastfeeding." Dr. Hale rates herbal supplements, in general, as L4 due to lack of data on safety. Usually there are no kinetic studies on herbals, so it is unknown how long to wait before the substance is metabolized. Hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X