Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IVF FET Meds: Lupron, Vivelle, Crinone, et al

Thank you for the service you provide.

I'm still nursing my 16 month old. He nurses often even though he also eats 3 solid meals a day.

I am about to undergo a frozen embryo cycle and do not intend to stop nursing unless the medications dry up my milk.

Could you please help me double check my research and provide me with answers to my questions?

Thank you for your time.

---

- Leuprolide Acetate Kit (Lupron) 2.8 ml - Although the maker advises that this not be taken by nursing mothers, this is advised on the grounds that there is no research on its effects on nursing nor on the nursed infant. However, it's molecular structure makes it unlikely that any or much would reach the breast milk. Further, Lupron is not active when taken orally. My understanding is that it is broken down in the digestion process, so even if some did reach the breast milk, it is highly unlikely to affect the breastfed toddler. Therefore, I shall be administering these injections as prescribed. As a precaution, I shall be taking these at night so that my sleeping son doesn't drink my milk for about 11 hours after I take these. Does this seem reasonable?

- Vivelle Dot 0.1 mg - Patch - Maternal doses of up to 200 mcg daily transdermally do not increase estradiol or estriol in breastfed infants or cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants. Is this correct or can a dose of 300 or 400 mcg be taken safely without ill effects to the breastfed toddler? I do intend to keep my dose at 200 mcg for the two weeks during which I will be using these.

- Crinone 8 % - Vaginal Suppository - Limited information indicates that breastfed infants of mothers using vaginal nonoxynol-9 experienced no adverse effects. Vaginal use of nonoxynol-9 is acceptable in nursing mothers. Because of the low levels of progesterone in breastmilk, even with the high-dose products, amounts ingested by the infant are small and would not be expected to cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants. I intend to use this medication as prescribed (to be taken daily for several weeks). Is this a reasonable plan?

- Progesterone in Sesame Oil 50 mg/ml - Injection - I could find no information on the safety of this product when used by nursing mothers. Could you please share your insights? My intention is to take these at night, once my son is asleep, and as prescribed but I am eager to ensure this is acceptable.

- Doxycycline 100 mg - Tablets - A close examination of available literature indicates that there is not likely to be harm in short-term use of doxycycline during lactation because milk levels are low and absorption by the infant is inhibited by the calcium in breastmilk. Short-term use of doxycycline is acceptable in nursing mothers.
    Since these are not contraindicated for lactating mothers if taken in the short term (3 weeks or less), I shall be taking these at night for 5 nights, so that my sleeping son doesn't drink my milk for about 11 hours after I take these.

- Medrol 16 mg - Tablets - 8mg daily produces low levels in milk and would not be expected to cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants. As a precaution, I shall be taking these as prescribed and at night for 5 nights, so that my sleeping son doesn't drink my milk for about 11 hours after I take these. Does this plan make sense for a 16mg daily dose?

- Valium 5 mg - Tablets - Contraindicated for nursing mothers; I shall not be taking these.

---

Thank you.
    Last edited by duediligence; 08-03-2016, 01:32 PM.

duediligence,

It is not known whether leuprolide (Lupron) transfers into human milk, but due to its nonapeptide structure, it is not likely that its transfer would be extensive. It is of no risk to the breastfed infant, only to milk production. The estrogen and progesterone combo may reduce your milk supply. The direct effect of progesterone therapy on the nursing infant is generally unknown, but it is believed minimal to none as natural progesterone is poorly bioavailable to the infant via milk. Several cases of gynecomastia in infants have been reported but are extremely rare. Sesame oil is probably ok in amounts commonly found in foods, no data on medicinal amounts. Medrol has a half-life of 2.8 hours so in 11 hours would be about 93% out so should be ok.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X