X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMR-vaccine

Hi,

Could you help me?
    I am breastfeeding a 13-months-old child. I have to do MMR-vaccine. Now my child isn?t mmr-vaccineted. Can I do this vaccine? Will be harmful for the baby? And can he be vaccinated in one month after me?

Thank you for your help.

Dear Toria,

The Measles + Mumps + Rubella vaccine (MMR) is a mixture of live, attenuated viruses. We know that Rubella, and perhaps measles and mumps virus transfers into breastmilk. In the study, the infants exposed to the vaccine viruses had mild symptoms only. We recommend for your infant to get his/her vaccine first then after 3 to 4 weeks get your vaccination. There is a possible risk of attenuation of his/her dose of vaccine if you get your vaccine before your child's. Call us at the InfantRisk Center, 806-352-2519, if you have further questions. We are open Monday through Friday, 8 to 5, CT.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

I also had a question about the MMR vaccine... I have a little over 11 month old daughter breastfeeding 8 times per day and weighing 22 lbs. I am a nurse and am required to get my MMR and flu vaccine simultaneously in two weeks. I also just received my hepatitis B vaccine today. Will these be compatible with breastfeeding? I was going to get my baby's MMR vaccine on her 1 year old appointment with her pediatrician. I see the previous posting mentioning to wait until she gets her MMR first before mine, but the timing will not align for me. Just wondering what direction I should take. Thank you.

Comment

Hi, thanks for your post.

I contacted the CDC with this question. They state that there is no problem with this vaccine schedule as described (MMR for you, followed by MMR for the baby). They recommend that you vaccinate as planned.

Also, there is no contraindication to breastfeeding after you receive HepB or flu shots.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
        X