Weight loss supplement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight loss supplement

I work at a military facility and i frequently have mothers who contact me about needing to loose weight to meet thier standards for their next PT test. Currently i have a mother whose child is 7 months old and nurses about 7-8x per day. She needs to loose 10lbs in 1 month. Is there any weight loss supplements that she can take that is okay with breastfeeding? If not then she has enough milk saved for 1 month and she is going to pump and dump for a month but then wants to know if their would be a time period that she would have to continue to pump and dump after stopping the supplement.

I know the correct answer would be to diet and exercise but these mothers are allready doing PT 5x a week and most of them have cut calories back to 1,800 and still can't seem to loose the last few pounds.

Any suggestions or ideas on either herbal supplements or prescribed medications that she could take to loose weight any if she would be able to continue to breastfeed or when she could resume breastfeeding after stopping the supplement.

Jessica Callahan RN, IBCLC

Dear sugarmy3,

At this time, we do not have much information about the use of herbal or prescribed medication for significant weight loss during breastfeeding. The use of herbal medications is not suggested as they are not FDA regulated; and therefore, their efficacy and safety has not been studied as extensively. To discuss specific medications and potential alterations in diet, we would be happy to speak with you at the InfantRisk Center. Our phone number is 806-352-2519 and our hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8 to 5, CT.

Sincerely,
    Areeba Anam, B.S. M.S.
    Pharm.D Candidate 2013

Comment

Can you suggest any yoga or exercise for weight loss

Comment

Working...
      X