coxsackie virus/breastfeeding risk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coxsackie virus/breastfeeding risk?

I am so sorry I don't know who else to ask, my pedi and ob don't know. nor does my lactation nurse. I am breastfeeding my son who was diagnosed with Hand Foot and Mouth today. I am concerned about getting blisters on my breasts (in particular as he will not eat solids due to the pain) and I am wondering if this will occur when he has active mouth sores? Any advice or reference/link greatly appreciated!! Thank you.

Megan:

HFM disease is a viral disease common in children, and rarely in adults. I lasts just over a week and is rarely hazardous.

You might possibly get the disease, but at your age it is probably remote.

Tom Hale Ph.d;

Comment

Coxsackie Virus in Both Baby and Mama

Just got a call from a mama who's entire family has been diagnosed with Coxsackie virus, a particularly nasty strain which the doctor says is different than the "regular" one. This one appears to be from Asia. I only say that because I don't know if it has any bearing on my question. Mama's question is that she has blisters on her breasts and she is concerned that she will perpetuate the virus in her 16 month-old nursing toddler. The toddler has blisters in the back of her throat. Mama says she has called the doctor and the doctor was not able to answer this question.

Comment

Dear Brinbabies,

I just discussed your question with Dr. Hale, it seems to us that the infant has already been exposed to the virus, especially that he is showing signs. Therefore, we do not think that interrupting breastfeeding at this point would help. I would however suggest she tries covering the blisters on her breast while breastfeeding, until they have dried out. For further questions please contact the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519.

Tassneem Abdel Karim MD
        InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
        X