Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breastfeeding and Varithena (treatment for varicose veins)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding and Varithena (treatment for varicose veins)

I'm having Varithena (polidocanol jnjectable foam) treatment for varicose veins and wondering if this will affect my breastmilk. I don't see any research on the treatment and breastfeeding and am wondering how long I should pump and dump for after the treatment. The doctor suggested a week, but he didn't really know too much about it. Thank you!

Sourpatchkid, thanks for posting,

Polidocanol is rated L3-probably compatible. The adverse effects of using polidocanol are mainly local. One time treatment poses minimal harm to the infant, since the half-life is short and the effects are local. However, since the manufacturer has obtained little pharmacokinetic data, the effects are uncertain. There are no adequate and well-controlled studies or case reports in breastfeeding women. This medication has a terminal half-life of 102-153 minutes, so in approximately 4-6 hours 75% of the medication will be out of your system and it would probably be ok to breastfeed at this time, or if you wait 12-16 hours it should be completely out.

I hope this helps if you have any other questions please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. Thanks,

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X