Flomax and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flomax and breastfeeding

Today I was prescribed Flomax by my urologist for kidney stones. He's pretty much clueless when it comes to what is and is not safe with breastfeeding so he said to ask my pharmacist. The pharmacist said it was a category B drug so it was safe but I thought that was a pregnancy category not breastfeeding. The internet doesn't have much of any information about how Flomax and breastfeeding go together. I don't want to take anything that will hurt my son. He's 7.5 months old. Is it safe for me to take this medication? Thank you!!

Hi, thanks for your post.

You're right that category B is a pregnancy designation. We have found that what is true in pregnancy is not always true in breastfeeding.

There are no published studies that examine tamsulosin in breastfeeding mothers, but we do not expect it to be present in the milk in clinically relevant amounts. It is a very large molecule and tightly bound to other proteins in the blood. Go ahead and breastfeed as normal while taking this medication.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X