Promethazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promethazine

Hello! My sister-in-law was prescribed 25mg promethazine she's had vertigo since her pregnancy and doctors think this may help. Her son is five months old. We are looking to see how safe it is for her to take while nursing. Also if she should start with a smaller dose so she can see how they both react. I spoke with the lactation consultant at our local hospital and she directed me here. I've found out that it is a level three drug so there isn't much research on the transfer between mother and baby! Any info is helpful, thank you in advance. ( :

Hi, thanks for your post.

You're right, we still don't know how much of this drug transfers to the baby through the milk. We expect it to be low, but not zero. We put drugs at L3 when we don't have enough information to suggest it will be safe. This drug has been used directly in toddlers and children for many years and is believed to be fairly safe in that context. Long-term followup studies suggest that there are no developmental side effects from using this drug. Watch the infant closely for signs of over sedation (doesn't wake up for feedings) and prolonged apnea (not breathing). Several authors have suggested that breastmilk exposure to this medication may increase the risk for SIDS in younger infants. Your risk is pretty low at 5 months. Think twice about using this medication while breastfeeding a child that has a history of apnea or problems with the brain that affect respiration.

Starting with a half pill is probably a good idea.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X