Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mum working in lab - questions re. safety

Hello,

Please delete this thread if not appropriate as it's not about medicine - I don't know where else to ask on behalf of this mum who's going back to work in a lab and has been told to stop breastfeeding.

She will be working with the following substances:

acetonitrile, etylacetate, hexane, dichlormethane, methanol

She has been told to stop breastfeeding her 12 month old before returning to work and is not happy about this. On the other hand, she's of course not interested in taking any risks with him. If she knows for sure it's best, it would make it a lot easier for her, though, so any info would be fantastic :-)

I will be away from the office for a while. I will address this when I get back.

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Hi, thanks for your post.

As a general rule, first-world governmental regulations and routine safety practices are enough to protect a mother from hazardous chemicals. She should use all appropriate personal protective equipment and not take any shortcuts when working with these substances. The biological barrier between the blood and the breastmilk further reduces the amount of chemical that ends up getting to the baby. These two layers of protection are usually enough to ensure a baby's safety. There are also the following things to consider:

1. Chemical exposure risks are less for toddlers than for neonates because toddlers get less milk relative to their body weights and their ability to process chemicals approaches that of an adult.
      2. If the mother experiences a workplace accident (like a spill) that exposes her to a lot of chemical, she should not breastfeed.
      3. If the mother develops symptoms of toxic chemical exposure, she should not breastfeed.
      4. Do not expose the baby directly to chemical residues that may be on her clothing or skin.
      5. Hexane and methanol are highly volatile compounds and small exposures are quickly exhaled. These substances are unlikely to be a risk to the baby.
      6. Dichloromethane is metabolically converted to carbon monoxide after systemic absorption. Even high maternal blood levels of carboxyhemoglobin are safe for a breastfeeding baby. See the article linked at the bottom for more information.
      7. Animal studies of acetonitrile and ethyl acetate show that they require very large doses to cause organ damage. They are also irritating to the mucous membranes of the eyes and nose, so the mother should have a pretty good idea when she is breathing them in.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

http://mommymeds.com/content/silent-killer-dangers-carbon-monoxide

Comment

Working...
      X