Statin While Breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statin While Breastfeeding

I take Rosuvastatin for very high triglycerides. Since statins are no longer contradicted during pregnancy my doctor is having me continue taking it while pregnant since my triglyceride levels get so out of control. Breastfeeding (via pumping) is really important to me but my doctor said I should not do so while taking a statin. She also does not recommend that I stop taking the statin for several months to be able to breastfeed. I understand the concern with breastfeeding while taking a statin is the idea that the baby might not get enough cholesterol. Could you help me understand why the statin is ok while pregnant but not while breastfeeding? Surely some of the statin gets to the baby through the placenta while pregnant just like it would get to the baby through breastmilk, right? What about fortifying my pumped breast milk with formula to increase the amount of cholesterol in the milk?
    Last edited by Aberlin; 04-19-2024, 08:45 AM.

Using a statin during pregnancy is still not common practice unless the benefit to a mother outweighs the risk of growth development in utero for baby. There is still a risk of growth complications with use during pregnancy as there is with breastfeeding. Breast milk has a lot of fat and cholesterol to help infant growth and brain development. We do know that it will get into milk. What we are unsure of is how much of the milk composition will be effected with the use of a daily statin and how this will effect baby long term. Doing half breast milk, half formula could possibly provide baby with the necessary amounts of cholesterol needed, however, at this time, we cannot say for sure that it will not cause harm.

We are currently studying statins in breast milk - please contact us if you would like to donate milk samples to help future moms! (806) 352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X