Phenazopyridine (Azo) while breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phenazopyridine (Azo) while breastfeeding

Well, 11 months into my BF journey and I messed up. Had a horrible UTI. Doc prescribed antibiotics and Azo extra strength. I did my research on the antibiotics before taking and nursing but not the Azo. Dawned on me to look it up today, after I had stopped taking it and nursed while on it for three days. Now I’m concerned as the side effects seems drastic if they happen. That leads me to here. Do we really know how bad it is? Likelihood of it effecting infant? Never noticed orange urine from child and my child is her normal self. Wouldn’t know if my breast milk is orange as I do not pump.
    thank you!

Darby:

I don't think there's any problem with Phenazopyridine (Azo). No doubt some of it gets into milk, but I do not worry about its periodic use. below is from my book, medications and mothers' milk.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Phenazopyridine hydrochloride is an azo dye that is rapidly excreted in the urine, where it exerts a topical analgesic effect on urinary tract mucosa.[1] One of its metabolites is acetaminophen. Pyridium is mild to moderately effective and produces a reddish-orange discoloration of the urine. It may also discolor and ruin contact lenses and clothing. In general, it is recommended to limit its use to 2 days. It is not known if Pyridium transfers to breast milk; it seems likely to enter milk to a limited degree based on its oral bioavailability and small size. However, no discoloration of milk has been reported after consumption of the drug which we expect if it transferred in large amounts. Due to this product's limited efficacy, it probably should not be used in lactating women, although it is unlikely to be harmful to infants. Although present, the risk of methemoglobinemia in the infant is probably quite small when normal doses are used. Additional caution is warranted during the first month of an infant's life. Mothers and/or infants known to have G6PD deficiency should avoid this drug as they are predisposed to hemolysis.

Comment

Working...
    X