Topical Acne Creams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topical Acne Creams

I was originally using Erythromycin gel and started a sample of Finacea. I wanted to try out another cream/gel that is called Aczone 5%. Is Aczone safe to use while breastfeeding? I also wanted to verify that Finacea is safe for breastfeeding as well. My dermatologist mentioned he prescribes it for his pregnant patients so it should be fine for breastfeeding as well but I would like to confirm that. Thank you.

Dear HomieOMI

Acazone (Dapsone gel 5%) is a sulphone antibiotic that has recently been released for the treatment of acne. The transcutaneous absorption of dapsone is minimal, and is probably of minimal risk to the infant when used topically. The oral form of this medication has a very high Relative Infant Dose (RID) of 23% of the mother's dose, and should be used with extreme caution if at all while breastfeeding.

Finacea (Azelaic acid) is only modestly absorbed via skin (<4%), and it is rapidly metabolized. Due to its poor penetration into plasma and rapid half-life (45 min), it is not likely to penetrate milk or produce untoward effects in a breastfed infant.

Tassneem Abdel Karim MD
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X