Fertility Meds Whille Breastfeeding Toddler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fertility Meds Whille Breastfeeding Toddler

Good afternoon! Are any of these OK while breastfeeding a 2-year-old (boy) a few times per day?

Clomid
    Menopur
    Bravelle
    Gonal-F
    Follistim
    Ovidrel

Thank you!

Dear Angel,

It is probably safe for a mother breastfeeding a 2 year old to use clomiphene (clomid). Human studies in breastfeeding women are not available or if available demonstrate only minimal to no adverse effects. Clomiphene appears to be very effective in suppressing lactation when used up to 4 days postpartum. However, its efficacy in reducing milk production in women, months after lactation is established, is unknown but believed to be minimal.

Menotropins (Menopur) is also probably safe to use. It is a purified preparation of gonadotropin hormones (follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH)). These hormones are large molecular weight peptides and would not likely penetrate into human milk. Furthermore, they are unstable in the gastrointestinal tract and their oral bioavailability would be minimal to zero even in an infant.

Bravelle, Gonal-F, and Follistim are all follicule stimulating hormones (FSH). They are large molecular weight proteins, found in normal menstruating women, they are unlikley to enter milk due to their large molecular weight.

Ovidrel is is a biosynthetic form of the human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG).It is a large polypeptide hormone produced by the human placenta with functions similar to luteinizing hormone (LH). Due to the large molecular weight (47,000) of HCG, it would be extremely unlikely to penetrate into human milk. It is unabsorbed orally.Therefore, It is probably safe to use while breastfeeding.

Tassneem Abdel Karim, MD
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

HI- I'm new to the sight & don't see the option to post a new thread myself. So, my question is --

Is Gonal-F safe for a breastfeeding mom to be injecting? I am beginning the process of donating eggs to an infertile woman & I have a 3 month old Exclusively Breast Fed (EBF) baby boy. The doctor at U of M here in Michigan says that pump & dump is allowed while taking Gonal-F but she does not know the effects on a baby who would still be EBF while on Gonal-F.

Is it okay to still EBF my son? Should I supplement with frozen Breast Milk so that it is diluted? I don't know what to do. I do NOT want to give up EBF, so this is a very hard decision. Any answers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
      Kristin.

Comment

Working...
      X