Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breastfeeding and baby asprin (medical condition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding and baby asprin (medical condition)

Hello,

I am breastfeeding my 11 month old daughter and I wanted to know if it's safe to take 1 baby asprin a day. I have the mthfr mutation gene heterozygous which is a blood clotting disorder. In the pass before I had my daughter my Dr told me to take one baby aspirin per day once I started trying for a baby and once I got pregnant continue taking it throughout pregnancy and it worked. With that being said I am starting to try for another baby and I wanted to know if taking one baby aspirin per day is safe while breastfeeding my just turned 11 month old daughter?

Danielle2517,

Aspirin is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. "In a new study in seven breastfeeding mothers consuming 81 mg/day, milk samples were collected at 0, 1, 2, 4, 8, 12, and 24 hours.[6] Acetylsalicylic acid levels were below the limit of quantification (0.61 ng/ml) in all the milk samples, whereas salicylic acid was detected at very low concentrations. The average concentration of salicylic acid observed was 24 ng/ml and the estimated relative infant dose was 0.4%. Acetylsalicylic acid transfer into milk is so low that it is undetectable even by highly sophisticated methodology. Salicylic acid does appear in the human milk in comparatively low amounts, which are probably subclinical in infants. In one patient consuming 325 mg/day of aspirin, human milk levels of ASA were comparable with those taking 81 mg, or undetectable (< 0.61 ng/ml). In this patient, the maximum concentration of SA was observed as 744.6 ng/ml, which peaked at 1 hour. The area under the curve was 2579 ng.hr/ml and the average concentration estimated was 107.4 ng/ml. The relative infant dose calculated was 0.45% at this dose. Thus, the daily use of an 81-mg dose or 325 mg/day of aspirin should be considered safe during lactation." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD). Virtually all aspirin transfer is gone in about 2 hours, so a brief waiting period of 2-3 hours would eliminate most risk.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X