Botox for TMJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Botox for TMJ

I have tried everything possible to help me stop clenching my teeth at night, or at least to clench less. I am now looking into Botox injections to relax the jaw muscles and have some pain relief. This would allow me to take much less ibuprofen and the occasional flexeril, and it would save my teeth. Is there any research on whether or not this is safe? My daughter is 9.5 weeks old. Thank you.

Laney1214,

Botox is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. "In one published report, a breastfeeding woman severely poisoned by botulism toxin continued to breastfeed her infant throughout the illness. Four hours after admission, her milk was tested and was free of botulinum toxin or C. botulinum bacteria, although she was still severely ill. The infant showed no symptoms of poisoning. It is apparent from this case that neither botulinum bacteria, nor the toxin is secreted in breastmilk. When used in the form of Botox, and injected properly, it is extremely unlikely to ever enter the plasma or milk compartment. A brief interruption of a few hours to ascertain that none has entered the plasma would all but eliminate any possible complications in a breastfeeding mother. Further, because this product is so large, it would have an extremely difficult time entering the milk compartment. Neither botulinum bacteria, nor the toxin is secreted in breastmilk." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD.)

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X