Low dose naltrexone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low dose naltrexone

is there any information on breastfeeding and LOW DOSE naltrexone. I have a connective tissue disorder which causes constant pain, between malabsorption and hyper metabolism drugs generally don’t work for me so the only pain management I’ve had for years is to just do as close to nothing as possible...which doesn’t make for stellar parenting of my 3 kids. I’ve heard a lot of good things about LDN for pain and would consider asking my doctor if it’s something I can try as long as I know it’s safe for nursing. My youngest is only 4 months so judging by her big sisters I’ve got 4 or 5 years to go. My kids deserve a mama who can keep up with them more than I can so I’m hoping I can find something effective for me and safe for baby girl.

Erynn:

See abstract below from a really good group. Seems like milk levels are low, and infant levels are even lower. Only about 1.06% gets to infant.

Should be fine.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J Hum Lact. ([url]https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=low+dose+naltrexone+milk%2Chuman#[/url]) 2004 Aug;20(3):322-6.

Transfer of naltrexone and its metabolite 6,beta-naltrexol into human milk.

J Hum Lact. 2004 Aug;20(3):322-6.
    Transfer of naltrexone and its metabolite 6,beta-naltrexol into human milk.
    Chan CF1, Page-Sharp M, Kristensen JH, O'Neil G, Ilett KF.

Abstract

The excretion of naltrexone and its primary metabolite 6,beta-naltrexol in breast milk from a 30-year-old lactating opiate addict undergoing oral naltrexone pharmacotherapy (5 mg/d) was studied. Concentrations of naltrexoneand 6,beta-naltrexol in serial milk and plasma samples taken over a 19.3-hour period of a dose interval at steady state were measured by gas chromatography. The calculated infant dose relative to the maternal weight was 0.03% for naltrexone and 0.83% (as naltrexone equivalents) for 6,beta-naltrexol. Total relative infant doseestimated for the complete 24-hour dose interval was 1.06%. Her 6-week-old breastfed infant was healthy, achieving expected milestones, and showed no adverse effects. Only 6,beta-naltrexol was detected in infant plasma and at a very low concentration of 1.1 micro g/L. Use of naltrexone during breastfeeding should be undertaken only after an individual risk benefit analysis. PMID: 15296587 DOI: 10.1177/0890334404266881 ([url]https://doi.org/10.1177/0890334404266881[/url])
    Last edited by admin; 09-04-2018, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X