Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clomid and breastfeeding

Hi there,

I'm currently breastfeeding a 7 month old. She sleeps 11-12hrs overnight with no feeds but has four feeds during the day. I plan to take my clomid dose immediately after her last feed before she goes to bed for the night.

I'm just wondering how quickly Clomid is metabolized in my breastmilk after the T max (6 hours) is reached? Would the amount of Clomiphene in the milk be higher at 7 hours as opposed to 10 or 12 hours after taking it? Is it best to try to avoid feeding for as long as possible (without starving bub) after the Clomid is taken so that the amount of Clomid in the milk is reduced as much as possible?

It's recommended to wait to breastfeed after 6 hours from taking clomid as that allows the highest amount to be metabolized. Before 6 hours, I presume the levels are still high (& rising until 6 hours?) in my milk as it's not yet fully metabolized by my body? Am I understanding that correctly?

From reading info on here, it appears that around 50% of the oral dose is excreted through urine and faeces. Is that the baby excreting this amount, or myself, or is it anyone' with clokid in their system? Any idea what happens to the other 50%?

Have any studies been done on adverse affects for a baby obtaining clomid through breastmilk?

Cheers, Lyndell

Lyndell: Be advised, that if you start Clomid, you will more than likely suppress your milk production, completely. See below.

Further, while Clomiphene reaches maximum levels in milk at 6 hours, it continues to hang around for many hours thereafter. Clomiphene has a half life of about 5-7 days and undoubtedly some gets into milk. We do not know if it would have untoward effects on your breastfed infant.

Lastly, I don't know any endocrinologist that would ever suggest you keep breastfeeding while trying to get pregnant. Most I know strongly suggest you discontinue breastfeeding to try and get pregnant.

I would suggest that you continue to breastfeed as long as you want, then STOP and use the Clomid.

---------------------

In a study of 60 postpartum women (1-4 days postpartum), clomiphene was effective in totally inhibiting lactation early postnatally and in suppressing established lactation (day 4).[1] Only 7 of 40 women receiving clomiphene to inhibit lactation had signs of congestion or discomfort. In the 20 women who received clomiphene to suppress established lactation (on day 4), a rapid amelioration of breast engorgement and discomfort was produced. After 5 days of treatment, no signs of lactation were present. In another study of 177 postpartum women, clomiphene was very effective at inhibiting lactation.[2]

Comment

Working...
    X