linzess/linactolide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linzess/linactolide

I am being recommended this medication for IBS-C and am currently nursing twins. Is this medication safe to take while breastfeeding? It is my understanding that it is minimally absorbed systemically which would lead me to believe that the transfer to the milk is then even more minimal and therefore safe. The drug does carry a specific warning not to be used in children so I wanted to double check prior to starting on the medication. Thank you

Kristen

Kristen:

We, as you already know, have no human data on the use of this product in breastfeeding mothers. That said, none of it apparently is orally absorbed, as they were unable to find any in the plasma compartment of the human. Thus, I think it is highly unlikely 1) any would ever reach the milk compartment, and 2) any would be transferred to the infant. This is a small peptide that is probably reasonably susceptible to metabolism in the GI tract.

I can't advise you that it is safe during breastfeeding. I can tell you that I think it is HIGHLY remote that any of this drug would enter the mothers milk. IF you decide to use this product, observe your infant for diarrhea. Also, if possible, call my infantrisk center with your number, as I would like to call you and get a report.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Breastfeeding and Linzess Study

A clinical research study is being conducted at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics evaluating the amount of linaclotide (Linzess) and its active metabolite that are present in breast milk. Women ages 18-45 who are actively breast feeding and taking linaclotide (Linzess) for either IBS-Constipation or Chronic Idiopathic Constipation are invited to participate.

If you qualify for this study and agree to participate, you will not be charged for any study related examinations, procedures or medications. You may receive up to $1250 for completing this study. Any travel to the study center will also be reimbursed.

Study participation involves approximately 5 visits, including 1 overnight visit.

To learn more about this study please contact via phone or email:
      Jessica Valestin
      (319) 384-9756

Comment

Working...
      X