Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megace exposure

Hi,

I am breastfeeding and a nurse. I cared for an incontinent patient receiving oral suspension megace 800 mg bid. I noticed after helping clean him up after an episode if fecal incontinence that a small amount if stool got on my wrist. I know that megace is excreted in stool at something like 20 to 30%. should I be worried about breastfeeding my 9 month old daughter?

Thank you, Karie

KarieR,

Megace is excreted in the feces from 7.7-30.3% (mean of 19.8%). Absorption from the skin is probably minimal as I am sure you washed it off shortly after exposure. I do not believe there is anything to worry about so would advise you to continue breastfeeding.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Thank you for your quick reply. My concern was that it may have been there for at least 5 minutes and I was reading that Megace is very small: nano particles 2000nm. Would that matter or would you still think that the short duration on my skin would not have absorbed much to matter?

Comment

KarieR,

This is a progestational agent, the main concern even if you were taking Megace would be a decrease in milk production. I believe there would be virtually no risk to your infant from the short exposure to your skin.

Sandra Lovato R.N.

Comment

Working...
        X