mercury in breastmilk after removal of an amalgam filling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mercury in breastmilk after removal of an amalgam filling

I plan to reduce the number of times I nurse per day following the removal of an amalgam filling in a dental office that did not have an oxygen mask for me. All other precautions seemed to have been followed (water, standard suction, rubber dam, he drilled for about 3 mins only). I am having a headache and brain fog after the procedure however.

My question is - is my reasoning correct in the sense that the amount of mercury transferred to the baby is PROPORTIONAL to the number of feedings (amount of breast milk consumed)? Thank you for your wonderful resource.

Elvira:

I don't have much advice for you. Its really not too likely you received much mercury since the heat was blocked by water and a dam. I doubt the headache was associated with mercury, probably just tension.

And yes, the more you feed, the more mercury the infant receives. I doubt, however, you received much at all and I'd advise you to interrupt breastfeeding for 2-3 days and continue after that. We don't have any really decent data to suggest how much is absorbed in a situation like yours. Buts its reasonably low. Remember, while mercury is bad, it also has a rather brief half-life (< 30 days) as compared to lead with a 28 year half life.

I think, IN YOUR CASE, the risk of NOT breastfeeding is probably higher than the risk of mercury poisoning. Just stop for a few days until your GI tract has cleared and go back to breastfeeding.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
    X