Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abilify & Cymbalta

Dr. Hale,
    I have been taking abilify 2 mg for bipolar since my son turned 2 weeks old. Now, he is 7 weeks old. I am struggling with postpartum depression and I know that it needs to be treated. My psychiatrist prescribed 20 mg of cymbalta to take with the abilify for the depression, since it has worked before. Abilify and cymbalta seem to be the best combination for me, but I am scared to continue breastfeeding on two medications; I also am not willing to give it up yet! Are there any major interactions with these two medications that could effect the baby? Is it okay to continue to nurse on these medications? I do not want to quit breastfeeding if the baby is not at immediate risk, but don't want to harm his development either. I appreciate any information. Thank you

Dear Guava27,

Both of these medications have minimal amounts entering breastmilk, and you are on very low dosages which decrease the risk to your infant. Observe your infant for sedation. Remember, the risk of untreated depression is higher than the risks of these medications. If you have further questions, please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Monday through Friday, 8 to 5, CT.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X