Hydrcodone and breast feeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrcodone and breast feeding

I've been taking Norco for back pain and I breast feed my 8 week old daughter she has no side effects, no sedation or constipation. If I continue to take it as prescribed can she become addicted or have withdrawals when I quit taking it? Does she get enough thru my milk for that to happen?

Lmayola,

It is possible she could become addicted depending on your dose and how often you take it. Norco is rated an L-3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount transferred into breast milk is 2.2-3.7% of your dose. We recommend you wait at least 2 hours to breastfeed after a dose and do not exceed 4omg in 24 hours. When you stop the medication wean yourself slowly and that way you nor your infant should have withdrawal.

I hope this helps.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

I just have a dosage question about Norco. When I look up the manufacturers information about the half-life of the 10 mg Norco, it says that the peak time is 2 hrs and a half-life is 4 hours. But the above post states that the half-life is 2 hours. Is this for the 5 mg dose? I can't find any info on that. If the patient breastfeeds at 2 hours, isn't that the peak time?

Comment

Tricia710,

Sorry if this was unclear, but the above post is giving the peak time of about 2 hours (actual is 1.3 hours) so we recommend avoiding breastfeeding during that time, it is not necessary to wait a half-life to breastfeed with this medication, the half-life is about 4 hours no matter if the dose is 5 or 10mg.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
        InfantRisk Center
        806-352-2519
        Last edited by Sandra; 03-11-2016, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Hello, I had to have my gallbladder removed and am on 5mg norco for pain. Is this safe to breastfeed a 3 months old with? He weights about 14lbs

Comment

Collinsarah,

Norco is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 2.2-3.7% of your dose. We recommend not to exceed 30-40mg in 24 hours, and to wait 2-3 hours to nurse after a dose. Short term use is usually not a problem as long as you follow the guidelines. Monitor for Sedation, slowed breathing rate, pallor, constipation and apnea.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
            InfantRisk Center
            806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
            X