1 gm IV solumedrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 gm IV solumedrol

I need to take 1 gm intravenous infusion solumedrol for three consecutive days. Baby is 6.5 months old. How long do I wait before nursing again, and do I start timing at beginning or end of infusion (takes 1 hour)?

Also, related medications to take those days are 40mg prilosec and potentially Ambien (or Lunesta). Are those contraindicated with breastfeeding?

Just to update, medication for sleep will be loreazepam, not Ambien.

Comment

Ruth918,

Solu-medrol (methylprednisolone) is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount passed into breast milk is 0.46-3.15% of your dose. [COLOR=#333333][FONT=lucida grande]Methylprednisolone is probably suitable to use during breastfeeding as long as it is taken in low-moderate doses (doses do not exceed 80 mg daily). If high dose pulse therapy is needed (e.g. 1000 mg IV x 3 days), it may be advisable to pump and discard milk for 8-12 hours after each dose. Count the time from when the medication finishes infusing.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Prilosec (omeprazole) is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount transferred is 1.1% of your dose. Virtually all omeprazole ingested via milk would probably be destroyed in the stomach of the infant prior to absorption, so should not affect the infant.

Ativan (lorazepam) is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount transferred into milk is 2.6-2.9% of your dose. Try to keep the dose low, and take the medication right after breastfeeding so you have a break before feeding again, the medication is most concentrated in your milk in the first 2 hours after taking the medication. Monitor the infant for sedation, slowed breathing rate, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain. As long as the infant is not symptomatic it should be ok.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. Thanks,

Sandra Lovato R.N.
      InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
      X