Coconut oil on breast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut oil on breast

I have a mom that was told by another IBCLC that coconut oil was a better product to use on her breasts instead of lanolin. I can't find the safety of coconut oil but would think that this would not be a good product to use on breasts when mom is nursing a 3 month old baby since coconut is a highly allergenic food that should not be introduced to an infant until after the first birth day. Is coconut oil on breasts safe for a baby under a year? Thank you,

Dear Yrwatson1,

Dr. Hale will be out of town for 2 weeks. When he gets back, I will ask him and let you know the answer to this. I think coconut oil is ok, but I need to verify that with him.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Yrwatson1:

Coconut oil, commonly called MCT oil (medium chain triglyceride), is commonly used in our NICUs to add fat into the diet of premature infants. It consists primarily of 6-12 carbon atom free fatty acid triglycerides which are easily digested by all neonates and older children. It is an ideal triglyceride for infants.

As a pure oil, it has virtually no allergenic compounds. So, if you use a high grade Coconut oil, I would not be worried about its use at all, or worry about allergies.

That said, I don't see how it would be any better as an emollient than lanolin.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

Working...
      X