Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statins during breastfeeding

Dr. Hale,
    I'm not sure if you are interested, but I have a 7-month-old patient I saw in clinic that was breastfeeding BID x1 month from a Mom on pravastatin, omeprazole, metformin, & glipizide. Labs after 1 month exposure to statin were AST mildly incr'd at 68 (20-60), CK hi at 553 (37-430), LDL low at 45 (70-110), trigs hi at 278 (60-134), VLDL hi at 56 (<16).
    HDL 46 (nl), glucose 88 (nl), ALT 32 (nl), TC 147 (nl).
    Advised Mom to stop breastfeeding & repeated labs 1 month later.
    AST still mildly incr'd at 64, LDL still low at 45, Trigs better but hi @ 184, VLDL better but hi @ 37.
    CK normalized at 397.
    ALT nl, TC nl @ 130, HDL nl @ 48, Glucose 94 (nl).

Only thing that was impressive was corrected CK with no longer being exposed to statin. Not really sure patient was exposed a lot, however, since only breastfeeding BID.
    Interested in your comments....
    Thanks,
    Cheryl

Cheryl:

Interesting data. Thanks. But I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm starting a Statin project right now and we should know more later about levels in milk. I'm betting levels in milk will be exceedingly low, but I'm not sure.

Couldn't the elevated CK levels be due to the metformin as well? While low, it does transfer to milk.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Thanks for your insight. Good luck on your data...we really need some good concrete information on statins & breastfeeding.
      And I'm not sure if any of these labs & changes had anything to do with exposure to meds in mom's breastmilk as he was only feeding twice a day.
      Thanks again,
      Cheryl

Comment

Working...
      X