Amalgam Fillings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amalgam Fillings

I just had a silver (amalgam) filling removed and replaced ith a white filling. I have heard that this is frowned upon because it releases mercury during the removal process. Does this mean that I have to discontinue Breastfeeding?

whodunit29:

Silver amalgams per your question, also contain a significant amount of mercury. We do not suggest removal of these during pregnancy for sure, or during lactation. Small amounts of mercury will be vaporized by the removal process, but if the dentist uses proper technique, such as a good vacuum, then the risk of mercury ingestion by the patient is relatively low.

Remember, most mercury, or even lead for that matter, is transferred during gestation, not lactation. Thus I would not at all discontinue breastfeeding following the removal of a mercury-silver amalgam. The amount of mercury exposure to the infant is minuscule and of limited risk.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

I have a related question to this thread. I just had an amalgam filling removed today and didn't realize there was concern with breastfeeding. They used suction, but no dental dam. They new I was breastfeeding and said there was no issues. I have some frozen breast milk stored up...Should I use those for a few days? Or just continue breastfeeding? I'm guessing any mercury absorbed by my body will take longer than a few days to get rid of it.

Comment

I need 1 amalgam filling removed on a cracked tooth that needs a crown. I am breastfeeding 19 mo old w/no plans to stop bc all my kids have been bf until about 4 yrs, and he’s teething hard so I can’t wean him. I have a natural dentist who will take all the best safety precautions in-office. Should there be a waiting time or pump/dump scenario before resuming breastfeeding post-removal?

Dentist recommends detox/supplementation plan, starting as early as possible and continuing post-removal- lessening dosages to avoid harsh detox symptoms:
        1) chlorella, 2) Kyolic garlic, 3) vit C, 4) vit B complex, 5) Metalloclear by Metagenics heavy metal detox, 6) multi-vitamin/mineral- prenatal vitamin, 7) cilantro liquid
        Is this safe a safe plan for breastfeeding?

I have 2 more amalgam filling my dentist wants to remove? I would like them out, as they are not doing well, but not urgent either. My thinking is removing these fillings poses no greater risk than living with them- chewing/drinking hot foods, etc, on daily basis. Also, the vapors are minimized with good practices and that’s my understanding how this mercury, once heated, is most absorbed. What are your thoughts on completing more work now vs any waiting period?
        Last edited by jennipini; 07-01-2019, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X