Restylane/Juvederm and breastfeeding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restylane/Juvederm and breastfeeding?

Is it safe to get Restylane or Juvederm injections for cosmetic purposes while breastfeeding?

Hi, thanks for your post.

There are no studies that specifically examine the safety of these products in breastfeeding women. The manufacturers take a conservative stance and recommend that they not be used while breastfeeding. Theoretically, they should be fairly safe because they are large molecules that would have trouble getting into the milk, remain largely in place at the injection site, mimic natural body compounds, and have benign breakdown products. The risks involved here are likely to be low, but I don't have enough information to be more specific or to be sure I have accounted for all possibilities. The decision to use any of these products is yours alone.

Injections of these products are sometimes combined with local anesthetics like lidocaine. Breastfeeding and local anesthetics is addressed here:
    http://mommymeds.com/frequently-asked-questions/local-anesthetics

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

I would d stay away from Juvederm or Restylane if I was pregnant. I take juvederm facial filler injectables form a clinic here in Brampton, Ontario where I live, called Med-Aesthetics (med-aesthetics.com). The surgeons hasn't specifically spoken till date as to when Im not supposed to take juvederm other than during my periods though. Considering that juvederm, restylane and botox are all toxic, Id stay far, far away during pregnancy.

Comment

Burketmommy,
        Hi I was hoping you could share your credentials for your post. Or is this an opinion? I'm trying to make an informed decision while breastfeeding my 2 year old.
        Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X