Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is dental cement safe during breastfeeding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is dental cement safe during breastfeeding?

I had a dental crown re-cemented recently. First the dentist glued it on temporarily with temporary cement with the active ingredients zinc oxide and eugenol, and a few days later, the other dentist glued it on with permanent cement. I do not know the active ingredients of the latter. But, I swallowed some of the temporary cement when he removed the crown in order to put on the permanent cement. I am worried that this can enter my breastmilk and harm my baby. Please advise. Is there anything I can eat to counter the effects if any?

I wouldn't worry about this small ingestion of temporary cement. In order for something that you ate to affect your baby, it has to cross into your bloodstream, then into the milk, then into the baby's gut, then into the baby's blood. Each of those steps is a point where the body filters out bad things. Both zinc oxide and eugenol produce toxic effects in quantities much greater than you are likely to have swallowed in the first place, let alone the fraction that will reach the baby. I believe you should be able to breastfeed without restriction now that this procedure is over.

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

There is no harm in it. As myself has also passed from this stage and doctor told me it is completely safe.

Comment

Working...
      X