Dostinex and breastmilk production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dostinex and breastmilk production

Hi, my name is Jessica and I have a pituitary prolactinoma. My daughter is 5 years and 8 months and I still breastfeed her. We found out she has Celiac disease the last year, but she also has fructose, casein, grains intolerances; she basically can eat meat and some cooked vegetables for now, reason why breast milk still play a role in her diet (I think) My family doctor asked me to start taking Dostinex again and said that my milk supply will dry in a week or so. I don't have my menstruation back yet. My question is, is there any dose of Dostinex that would help to reduce my prolactin levels without drying my milk supply completely? I am 41 years old and I'd like to try to have another child (since I have 1) but I don't want to leave my girl without at least a little bit of milk until she is ready to wean herself. She also suffer from a lot of stomach cramps, so she needs a lot of comfort. By the way, I should mention that I follow the same diet she has, but I eat a lot of more raw vegetables and more nuts.

Hi, thanks for your post.

It should be possible to find a dose of Dostinex (cabergoline) that reduces prolactin but still allows you to breastfeed. Ideally, you would start on a small dose (like 0.25 mg), wait about a week, have a prolactin level drawn, and make a decision about whether to stay on that dose or not. Prolactin levels of ~100 ng/mL generally permit breastfeeding, although your situation may be different with an older child. You will have to see how your milk supply responds.

I have to put in one caveat, though. If the prolactinoma is large or growing, you will need to treat it more aggressively for your own safety. Symptoms of an enlarged tumor include diminished vision in the temporal (outer) visual fields, double vision, or persistent headaches. Talk to your doctor if you have concerns about this.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Originally posted by admin-james View Post
      Hi, thanks for your post.

It should be possible to find a dose of Dostinex (cabergoline) that reduces prolactin but still allows you to breastfeed. Ideally, you would start on a small dose (like 0.25 mg), wait about a week, have a prolactin level drawn, and make a decision about whether to stay on that dose or not. Prolactin levels of ~100 ng/mL generally permit breastfeeding, although your situation may be different with an older child. You will have to see how your milk supply responds.

I have to put in one caveat, though. If the prolactinoma is large or growing, you will need to treat it more aggressively for your own safety. Symptoms of an enlarged tumor include diminished vision in the temporal (outer) visual fields, double vision, or persistent headaches. Talk to your doctor if you have concerns about this.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD
      Thanks a lot, I also talked to Dr. Newman who suggested me to increase Zink and B6, so I'll try this for a while and then try with very low dose of Dostinex. I'll have a MRI in October and we'll see if the adenoma has grown or not, I'll take a decision about increasing the dose or not after that.
      Hugs!!
      Jessica

Comment

Well ! similar problem happened with one of my friends too. But after few months her periods started with heavy flow. Thanks to the coupe menstruelle of cupissima.com which had helped her a lot, during those days.
        Last edited by francesbradley; 12-05-2016, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X