Breastfed Toddler and took Femara

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfed Toddler and took Femara

Hello! I am trying to conceive a second baby. I took five days of Letrozole 2.5mg. The doctor knew I was breastfeeding, I didn’t check the safety. I’m normally so paranoid about this but somehow this time I wasn’t. I’ve just realized that this is rated hazardous for breastfeeding and I am freaking out. My daughter is 2 years 10 months. It’s been 26 days since I stopped taking it. What would the effects be? Is there anything to watch for/do? Bone density test? Blood test?

This product works irreversibly and any present in milk could potentially suppress estrogen levels in a breastfed infant. The transfer of small amounts of this agent to an infant could seriously impair bone growth or sexual development of an infant and for this reason it is probably somewhat hazardous to use in a breastfeeding mother. It has a very long half-life, which is concerning in a breastfed infant and could lead to higher plasma levels over time. It is not advisable to breastfeed an infant while consuming this product. Discontinue breastfeeding while taking this product or for a period of 10 days following its discontinuation. You would want to talk to the baby's Pediatrician and let them know. That way they can run any necessary tests on the baby.

Alicia Nelson RN
    Infant Risk Center

Comment

Hi, thanks for response. When you say “irreversibly” what does that mean? When I stop talking letrozole, my estrogen level will recover. Are you saying that isn’t the case for a toddler? She won’t ever produce estrogen?

Comment

Hello there!

"Irreversible" inhibition simply means the drug binds to the receptor so tightly that it stays until the receptor itself is gone...however, every part of your body is constantly being rebuilt. As old receptors "die," new ones are built (some fast, some slow) -- meaning that taking a drug that is an irreversible inhibitor will knock out the receptors that are present as you take the drug, not forever.

Dr. Krutsch

Comment

Hello, thank you very much for this clarification!

Comment

Working...
          X