Valium for Dental Procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valium for Dental Procedure

I was prescribed Valium 2 mg the night before and one hour prior to my 12 pm dental procedure. Told I had to have a ride to and from my dental appointment.

I breastfeed my 10 month old and almost 3 year old. Can they nurse in the morning? Or should I pump and discard first morning milk? If I can get through morning I don't think either will *need* me to get through the afternoon as they will be with my mom during the procedure and nap and the baby already occasionally gets formula at daycare. I would like to nurse them to bed, there's no other choice there.

Thoughts?

Since your babies are a little older and this is a low dose of Valium, we recommend waiting at least 2 hours to nurse after taking your night dose of Valium and the dose before your procedure. You should be able to nurse in the morning after your night dose(assuming it's been at least 2 hours after taking). I would recommend waiting at least 2 hours before nursing with your dose prior to your procedure as well. Monitor babies for sedation, slow breathing rate, poor feedings.

Sally Bain RN
    Infant Risk Center

Comment

Working...
    X