Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding and Lamotrigine

Hello,

I'm from France, i'm taking Lamotrigine 350mg by day (175 mg morning and evening). My girl is born two weeks ago and i'm breastfeed her and naturally i have a lot of questions about the consequences of my medication on the breastfeeding and of course my baby. I want to precise that at the beginning of my pregnancy, i was at 250mg by day and i want quickly return to this stage. After three convulsion crises , i took 350mg during the second semester. I had no convulsion sine (Since the 8th of november).

I want what is better for her and i'm ready to stop if there is any consequences to her development and health. I want to give her the best that i can but i culpabilise everyday because i'm not sure if she will be all right.

Thank you in advance for your return. Hope my english is enough clear.

Regards

Dear Bera25,

Lamotrigine is a newer anticonvulsant. The use of lamotrigine in breastfeeding mothers produces significant plasma levels in some breastfed infants, although they are apparently not high enough to produce side effects in most cases. Exposure in utero is considerably higher, and levels will probably drop in newborn breastfed infants who are breastfed. We strongly advise you to have your pediatrician monitor the infant's plasma levels closely to ensure safety. Also monitor your daughter for sedation or irritability, not waking to feed/poor feeding, weight gain and rash.

Hope this helps!!!
    For further questions please contact us at the InfantRisk Center on 806-352-2519.

Tassneem Abdel Karim, MD
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X