Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metronidazole 500mg twice a day for 7 days

Dr. Hale,

I was prescribed metronidazole 500 mg oral tablets twice a day for 7 days. I am currently breastfeeding my 7 week old (about 12 lbs) and was told that this medicine at this dose was safe to breast-feed with, as it is a L2. I understand that in older studies that it was a concern with rats and cancer and the oral tablet dose but that you stated that is not the case. (The nurse at my pediatric group did not know about this just that it was rated L-2, which she deemed to be compatible with breastfeeding). You stated on the app that infants and kids receive this medicine and the amount in milk is less than the amount they would receive if they themselves had an infection and were taking the medicine. I have question regarding that, as I understand that the oral tablets are the only form of the medicine with this warning. Do infants and kids ever receive the oral tablet dose for their illnesses or just the liquid/iv/gel/injection/lotion form? I want to continue to breastfeed but wanted to make sure that the oral tablet form was used for kid illnesses as well and was not a concern for my baby (-as the medicine came with the black box warning and the note not to breastfeed for 24hr after last dose and there do not seem to be any studies on this).

Input would be appreciated. Thank yo.
    Last edited by Maryr; 03-15-2020, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Maryr,

We believe it is safe to use at your dose of 500mg twice a day for 1 week. This is our recommendation, but it is up to you and your Dr to make the final decision. Monitor for dry mouth, vomiting, diarrhea, changes in gastrointestinal flora, urine may turn brown, rash and thrush.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
      InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
      X