Glaucoma treatment with Diamox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glaucoma treatment with Diamox

Since over 10 years I am suffering from high eye pressure. I tried different surgeries but after a while the pressure is high again. After a quite phase the pressure is currently very high again and I need to take 1/2 pill of Diamox 250 every morning and every evening.
    My toddler is currently 14 month and I am wondering if we can continue to breastfeed. My doctor recommended to wean but if possible I would like to continue breastfeeding.
    Starts
    03-14-2018
    Ends
    03-14-2018

Zalarua,

Diamox is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 1.37-2.2% of your dose. You are on a low dose, a normal is 500 twice a day. Take the medication after you nurse and wait about 3 hours to nurse again. Observe for fluid loss, dehydration, lethargy.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Dear Sandra,

Thank you so much for your reply. My son is doing fine and not showing any sign of fluid loss, dehydration, lethargy.
      Further to the Diamox I have to take 2 eye drops of Cosopt S (Dorzolamid Hydrochlorid and Timolol Maleat) a day (in one eye only). Do you think its still ok to breastfeed?

Comment

Zalarua,

It would be ok to nurse with the Cosopt S eye drops. We do not know how much of the dorzolamide transfers into breast milk, but because the plasma levels are so low the milk levels will probably be low to undetectable. The amount of Timolol that transfers into breast milk is only 1.1% of your dose. We think these levels are too low to be clinically relevant.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
        InfantRisk Center
        806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
        X