oxycodone 5mg immediate release tabs and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oxycodone 5mg immediate release tabs and breastfeeding

Hi, I was prescribed oxycodone immediate release tabs 5mg and i have been reading a lot of different websites and there are some that says its not good to breastfeed while on oxycodone and some said it's ok.. I am taking it for back pain. I would like to know if i take it, how long before i can breastfeed and when is the peak of the medicine so i can avoid breastfeeding. EDIT: I also am being told different things by the pharmacist and my dr.. my dr said its ok as long i wait few hours to breastfeed, my pharmacist said not to take it at all.

*** I am a first time mom ***
    Last edited by DreamingOwl7; 02-10-2018, 01:16 PM.

DreamingOwl7.

Oxycodone is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 1-8% of your dose. It is most concentrated in the milk in the first 2 hours and half is out in 2-4 hours. We recommend avoiding the peak time, and do not exceed 30mg in a 24 hours if you are nursing a young infant and no more than 40mg in 24 hours if your infant is older (3 months or older). Monitor for sedation, slowed breathing rate, apnea, pallor, difficulty feeding, constipation and appropriate weight gain. If you follow guidelines short term use is probably not a problem as long as your infant is not symptomatic. If it is used long term you will need to wean your infant off the breast milk and not stop suddenly as they may have withdrawals.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X