Adderall & breastfeeding toddler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adderall & breastfeeding toddler

I currently breastfeed my 21-month old toddler at 6am (before childcare) and unlimited from about 5:30pm until the following morning. We co-sleep so she consumes milk throughout the night. She weighs about 30lbs currently and is a solid child. I was recently prescribed 10mg Adderall (amphetamine salts) to take three times throughout the day (for total daily dosage of 30mg) but anticipate only needing 20mg/day. I wonder how concerned I should be about the medication affecting toddler since the latest 10mg dose would probably be at 12pm? Or should I take all 20mg once at 7am to ensure that it is fully through my system by the time we reunite at 5:30pm?

Also I read on this forum thread ([url]http://www.infantrisk.com/forum/forum/medications-and-breastfeeding-mothers/antidepressants/224-adderoll-for-adhd-while-breast-feeding[/url]) there was more research on Ritalin. My doctor is amenable to me trying Ritalin if there is a smaller chance of medication being transferred through milk.

So I am wondering when is it best to take my last 10mg dose of Adderall to best ensure that toddler is getting the least or no dose of medication when we reunite in the evening? And should I consider Ritalin in lieu of Adderall?

thank you.

PHLdr,

The Adderall is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 2.46-7.25% of your dose. We do recommend trying to keep your dose at 20mg or less a day. The medicine is most concentrated in the first 2 hours. The half life is 9.77-11 hours. I think if you take the last dose at noon you are probably ok, monitor your infant for agitation, hyperactivity, insomnia, decreased appetite, weight gain, tremor.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    Infantrisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X