Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding and Ritalin (as needed)

Hi,
    Before I got pregnant I was taking 10mg of methylphenid as needed. Usually I took this when taking while in class, studying, homework or other unrelated activities requiring my full attention. I am now working on my second degree and a new parent of a 4 mth old which I exclusively breastfeed. I have been trying to keep up with school (6 classes) this semester as have had a horrible experience just trying to focus, retain all the information, and keep my grades up. I need to get back on my medication for ADD desperately and this would strictly be during the time that I am working on my studies.

I currently feed my baby for about 5 minutes every 1-2 hours and on days that I pump and bottle feed he will consume 3-4oz and be ready for his next feeding about 4 hours later.

Just to be well informed I have several questions:

-How much of a dose actually filters into breastmilk?

-I read in another thread that the highest amount is likely in the breastmilk at about 1-3 hours after the dose is taken, is this correct?

-If I take a dose which is good for 4 hours, will I need to pump and throw away the milk or is this something that as time passes also clears out of your system and breastmilk? If so, when do you recommend is best after dose to pump and dispense?

-What should I be concerned about or look out for in my son while taking this medication?
    I appreciate any advice you may have.
    Thanks in advance for your time.
Working...
X