Catecolacalm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catecolacalm

Prior to pregnancy I was taking an herbal medication called Catecolacalm. It helps with high levels of Cortisol.
    I've listed the ingredients. Should I avoid taking this while breastfeeding. It helped me trememdously with anxiety. I am breastfeeding a 5 week old and this would help out with alot of Post partum anxiety.
    Taurine 300 mg
    L-Theanine 200 mg
    Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis)(leaves) 100 mg
    [standardized to contain 2% rosmarinic acid)
    Passion Flower (Passiflora incarnate)(herb) 100 mg
    [standardized to contain 2.5% vitexin flavonoid]
    Valerian Root (Valeriana officinalis)(root) 100 mg
    [standardized to contain 0.8% valerinic acid]
    Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)(root) 100 mg
    [standardized to contain 1.5% with anoloids]
    Phospatidylserine 50 mg

I appreciate your time, thanks!

Dear Eleighhaynie,

There are literally thousands of herbal products and teas used today. Many are safe and some are unsafe for breastfeeding mothers. Dr. Hale suggests to consult an authority in herbal products before ingesting these drugs while pregnant or breastfeeding. Taurine and L-Theanine are amino acids which are normally present in our bodies so are likely compatible with breastfeeding. For Lemon balm and Passion Flower, we do not have enough data to say they are safe for a breastfeeding infant. Passion Flower should be avoided during pregnancy due to the risk of miscarriage. Valerian root has sedative properties, and since you have a young infant, these type products are discouraged due to the risk of sedation and SIDS. Ashwagandha is contraindicated in pregnancy due to the risk of miscarriage, but there is not enough information during breastfeeding to say it is safe. Phospatidylserine is a phospholipid that is normally found in breastmilk so should be compatible. In summary, some of the ingredients in this medication may have untoward effects for your breastfed infant due to the sedative effects and lack of data for their safety; therefore, we would not recommend its use while breastfeeding.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center
    Last edited by cpride; 02-13-2013, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X