Maitake Mushroom Extract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maitake Mushroom Extract

I am nursing a 7mo old infant. I am looking for something that is safe to use and will help manage PCOS symptoms. I came across Maitake Mushroom extract in my research and was hoping you could tell me if it would be safe to try while breastfeeding. If not, do you know anything that is, that would help manage those PCOS symptoms? I plan to nurse until she is at least two. Thank you in advance!

Dear 5strong,

Natural Standard which is an authority on Integrative Medicine states that Maitake Mushroom use during breastfeeding is not recommended due to a lack of scientific data. Maitake Mushrooms may possibly be unsafe as the product may lower blood sugar levels. Also, may be unsafe in patients with low blood pressure or those using blood pressure medications. Dr. Hale states that there are literally thousands of herbal products and teas used today. Many are safe and some are unsafe for breastfeeding mothers. Consult an authority in herbal products before ingesting these drugs while pregnant or breastfeeding. You should consult your physician about medications that will help manage your PCOS symptoms. Once you have your medication plan in place, call us at the InfantRisk Center. Our phone number is 806-325-2519. We are open Monday through Friday, 8 to 5, CDT. We can give you information on the safety of the medications for your breastfeeding infant. Hope this information helps.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center
    Last edited by cpride; 07-27-2012, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X