Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can saw palmetto supplements or those mixed with other herbs such as ginkgo be safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can saw palmetto supplements or those mixed with other herbs such as ginkgo be safe?

I have read it was both a galactagogue and also could reduce supply. This nursing mom has hair loss, very afraid of male patterned baldness ( hair is fine and sl thin, but no bald places) and is considering weaning so she can take supplements. She has good supply at 3 months post delivery. Seen by a dermatologist who did not see any big issues as follicles were "open". She is hesitant to try topical minoxidil as she was told hair loss can be a side effect.

Sue:

Minoxidil is a potent vasodilator and antihypertensive. It is also used for hair loss and baldness. When applied topically, only 1.4% of the dose is absorbed systemically. Following an oral dose of 7.5 mg, minoxidil was secreted into human milk in concentrations ranging from trough levels of 0.3 ?g/L at 12 hours to peak levels of 41.7-55 ?g/L at 1 hour following an oral dose of 7.5 mg.[1] Long-term exposure of breastfeeding infants in women ingesting oral minoxidil may not be advisable. However, in those using topical minoxidil, the limited absorption via skin would minimize systemic levels and significantly reduce risk of transfer to infant via breastmilk. It is unlikely that the amount absorbed via topical application would produce clinically relevant concentrations in breastmilk.

I can't suggest anything about saw palmetto.

Tom Hale

Comment

I never used it

Comment

Working...
      X