CBD and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBD and breastfeeding

I suffer from anxiety and migraines and have had a few people recommend CBD oil to help. However, I can't find much information on CBD that does not contain any thc. My son is 15 months old and only nurses 2 times a day so I'd have to imagine a small does of CBD wouldn't have much impact but I also know that the half life of the drug is a few days. Do you have any advice on the safety of the drug for my situation?

Mommaj:

CBD oil is extracted from the cannabis plant. I imagine it comes in all kinds purity so I'd suggest you get the kind that has the least about of delta-9-THC, the psychoactive product.

If you get a purer grade, then you would not have to contend with the euphoria, or high associated with THC-containing products.

CBD has found some usefulness in chronic pain and anxiety. Taken orally, it is poorly absorbed, but enough is absorbed to produce various clinical effects.

In YOUR situation with a 15 month old infant, I doubt much will transfer into milk, because your plasma levels of CBD will be exceedingly low, and your milk volume is lower as well after 15 months, hence the clinical dose provided to the infant will be low as well.

In addition, much CBD is caught up in the liver and never reaches the plasma circulation, thus producing rather low plasma levels.

I do not generally suggest breastfeeding mothers use herbal products, or marijuana products, because of the unknowns about these products.

But I think in your case the risks are probably minimal.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
    X