Domperidone and Diflucan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domperidone and Diflucan

Is it safe to take both of these medications together? Domperidone (30 mg tid) and Diflucan 100 mg bid - have a mother who has low milk and intraductal yeast. Thank you.

Ertzberg:

I cannot find that there is a drug-drug interaction between fluconazole and domperidone. That said, I do not believe in ductal candidiasis and no longer recommend fluconazole for "intraductal yeast".
    Try an antimicrobial that treats staph infections. You'll probably have better luck.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

hmmm...

Dr. Hale, can you tell me why you no longer think intraductal yeast exists? As far as antimicrobial - like bactroban? I'm really not excited about taking oral antibiotics. Thank you.

Comment

Ertzberg:

I did a study a few years ago, and we were unable to find candida albicans in the milk of mother suffering from "yeast" symptoms. Many of us now concur that yeast is not the likely cause. Rather it is probably vasospasm.

Bactroban or polysporin are ideal products to use topically on the nipple. But you'll have to talk with your doctor about these because Bactroban is prescription only and you need their advice.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Dr Hale, I am currently taking 60 mg of domperidone. My daughter and I have recently been prescribed fluconazole for a long standing nystatin resistant thrush. You mentioned there are no drug interactions between the two medications. However, both medications can increase the risk of prolonged QT interval, is there any information on a significant risk while taking these medications concurrently? The duration of therapy for the fluconazole is 14 days. Thank you for any insight!

Comment

mbithid:

There is some risk of using the azole antifungals with domperidone, as they may reduce its metabolism. Ketoconazole is the worst offender and can increase domperidone levels by 3 fold. I see no mention of fluconazole, but I would suggest there is a slight risk your plasma levels of domperidone could rise and increase the risk of prolonged QT interval.

If you are taking fluconazole for nipple or ductal candidiasis, please be advised that many of us no longer believe that candida exists in the breast, its simply not true and I'd suggest you avoid using it. But that is between you and your physician. As for the domperidone, you might drop the dose in half while consuming fluconazole, just to be safer.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

seriously dangerous combination

Taking both drugs together can cause AMI.My doctor told me today to stop domperidone until I am finished with fluconazole. He said it could kill me.
              Last edited by fionajane; 07-04-2015, 08:25 AM. Reason: auto correct misspelled words

Comment

Fionajane:

I'd suggest you stop the fluconazole. If you stop the domperidone rapidly, your milk supply will vanish. We recommend a slow withdrawal over 4+ weeks depending on the dose (30-60 mg/day). Higher doses, use longer withdrawal periods.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

Working...
                X