Domperidone and Breast Reduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domperidone and Breast Reduction

I am an IBCLC in private practice. I am working with a client who had breast reduction surgery 15 years ago .She has been taking Domperidone 20mg TID since 2 weeks post-partum and provides approximately one third of her baby's intake. She has had a notable increase in production recently. I recommended Domperidone to her per BFAR.org stating that increasing prolactin levels compensates for nerve damage. If Domperidone only works with low Prolactin
    levels, would this be an appropriate use of the drug? Would Prolactin levels still be appropriate?

[From Dr. Hale:]

LaneyB:

If her levels of milk are increased, then its pretty certain that the domperidone has increased her prolactin levels and has worked effectively to increase milk synthesis.

I'd suggest a slow tapering of the dose following about one month or two and see if she can maintain her present milk production.

At this point, there is no use in measuring prolactin, it will be high regardless due to the domperidone.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X