Domperidone and muscle pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domperidone and muscle pain

I have been on domperidone for a couple of months and this last week I’ve experienced severe muscle pain that started in my arms and has spread throughout my whole body. I am getting worked up for autoimmune causes but I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of this or experienced this as a side effect of domperidone. I have been taking 90mg/day. Thanks

Hi jdoor,

Can you clarify the type of pain? Looking at the way domperidone works, it could have extrapyramidal symptoms that include muscle spasms/contractions, stiffness, and restlessness among others--pain isn't the first thing that would come to mind though. It isn't common to see these symptoms with domperidone, but the dose you're on is higher than what patients took in safety research studies.

Kaytlin Krutsch, PharmD

Comment

It does feel like spasms/contractions. It feels like my muscles all over have tensed up or I just worked out and they are fatigued to the point that using my hands is painful with increasing weakness. Is it the dosing? Do you recommend stopping it? I know my supply will tank if I do but I can’t function like this either

Comment

My CK and CRP are elevated. Otherwise my CBC/CBC/urine/flu swabs are normal

Comment

J door:

The only advice we can give you is to start "tapering" off domperidone slowly, say 5-10 mg reduction per week. You still may go through a withdrawal even at this dose...but we don't really understand this withdrawal process or the painful withdrawal syndrome associated with its use.

Tom Hale PhD. R.Ph.

Comment

jdoor,

Please consider donating your milk to our lab to study drug transfer. Here's a link for more info:
            [url]https://www.infantrisk.com/help-infantrisk-research[/url]

Kaytlin Krutsch, PharmD

Comment

Working...
            X