Victoza while breastfeeding 8 month old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victoza while breastfeeding 8 month old

hello, I have seen posts about this drug about 7 years ago, but am hoping for updates to the typical response of “we don’t know how it affects the baby”

I had excellent control of my diabetes prior to becoming pregnant with Victoza. Now my sugars are really labile and I continue to gain weight despite me continuing to breastfeed. Is it considered safe to take Victoza while breastfeeding??? Thank you so much in advance.

Sammyusc,

Victoza (liraglutide) is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible, "It is currently not known if liraglutide is excreted in human milk; however, in rats, this drug is excreted in concentrations of approximately 50% of maternal plasma. The molecular weight of this medication is about 3750 daltons, this size of molecule would have great difficulty entering breast milk. In addition, this medication is given subcutaneously for therapeutic effect; thus very little of this medication would be absorbed by the infant orally if found in breast milk. There is a slightly increased risk of thyroid C-cell tumors/malignancy in rodent and human studies, the risk of this in a breastfed infant would be expected to be very low. The benefits and risks of this medication should be discussed with each individual as there are numerous medication alternatives for this indication with more data in breastfeeding." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale, PhD). Monitor your infant for vomiting, diarrhea and signs of hypoglycemia- drowsiness, lethargy, pallor, sweating, and tremor.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X