Estrogen causing low milk supply?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estrogen causing low milk supply?

I asked about the mini pill but my doctor gave me a regular pill (Kariva) with both estrogen and progestin. I asked the pharmacist when I went to fill the prescription if it was safe or breastfeeding (just to clarify) and she said I should take a pill only containing progestin and not estrogen. I called my doctors office and someone spoke with my doctor and said its still okay..that the pharmacists are not up to date with the latest reports. I asked if people take the mini pill after 6 weeks post partum (I've heard the mini pill was only given prior to 6 weeks post partum) and she said no. She said it could cause a decrease in my milk but since I've been exclusively breastfeeding it shouldn't affect my supply. I'm still a little concerned. Can you help clarify this for me?

If it matters, I am 7 weeks post partum now.

Comment

Dear HomieOMI,

Desogestrel and Ethinyl Estradiol (Kariva) is a combination drug product indicated for use as an oral contraceptive. Estrogen-containing contraceptives may interfere with milk production by decreasing the quantity and quality of milk production. Breastfeeding mothers should attempt to wait until lactation is firmly established (6-8 weeks) prior to use of estrogen-containing oral contraceptives. Some mothers are more sensitive than others concerning milk supply so observe your supply closely. If you notice a decrease in your supply, you may talk with your physician about either progestin only pills or a non-hormonal method such as the ParaGard IUD. Hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,
      Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
      TTUHSC InfantRisk Center
      Last edited by cpride; 09-28-2012, 08:03 AM.

Comment

I contacted my doctors office again and asked if they could ask my doctor for a prescription for the mini pill. I don't want to take a risk with my supply decreasing or having lower quality milk as well.

Comment

Working...
        X