Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adderall and breastfeeding toddler

Hi,

I am currently taking 20mg of amphetamine salts, 5mg 4 times a day. I breastfeed my 19 month old toddler in the morning before taking medication, at nap time (about 3 hours after taking 5mg) and then not again until bedtime (again about 3 hours after taking my final 5mg dose). He still nurses a lot in the night. He has never been the best sleeper but gets around 12-14 hours of sleep per day. I started to take adderall after getting the okay from my doctor when he was 8 months old and only took about 5-10 mg per day. I guess I just need some reassurance that taking 20mg per day is okay at this point - since he is a toddler and not nursing so much during the day. My doctor wanted me to consider switching to XR but I don't feel comfortable switching until my son is weaned and I know he is not ready to wean yet. Thanks so much for your time!!

Ijcr11,

Your dose should be ok, we recommend not to exceed 20mg of Adderall in 24 hours. Your child is older and as long as he is not symptomatic there should not be a problem. Monitor your child for agitation, hyperactivity, insomnia, decreased appetite, weight gain, and tremor.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X